SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Polar Bear Article

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gonetodogs Posted - 11/18/2016 : 10:06:02 AM
Please take the banner article down, as we now know the deplorable backstory: the CBC reported yesterday that a sled dog was killed in this man's kennel as a result of his feeding the bears, and he may be charged:
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RedWolf Posted - 11/24/2016 : 04:07:09 AM
Midnightwind asked if there was any evidence that he was feeding the bears for any reason.

In the 2nd paragraph of the article, he says the incident "had occurred on 'the only day we didn't feed the f—king bears, the only night we didn't put anything out.'"

I'd say more, but I probably shouldn't.
kissAnew Posted - 11/23/2016 : 6:30:20 PM
I know the man that owns these dogs. He cares about his dogs in a respectful manner much more so than someone who would take these dogs and crate train them and make them live in places like an apartment in Hollywood Cal. This man made a decision to help perpetuate one of the very few breeds of preColumbian dogs that survived government implemented plans to eradicate them. He has the largest stud of genetically diverse pure Qimmiq in the whole of North America and he raises them the way they've been raised for eons. Since before PETA, before Columbus, before the death of Aztec, and before government planned genocide
I spent time with him helped him feed his dogs, talked about the bears and the dogs and checked his traps, shared ideas and meals.

I see many people that have many opinions of subjects they have little to no real living experience of.
Very few of us can relate to this guy. Yes he's a character I'll admit that. But for all his straightforwardness and nonconformist living style he is not evil. As a matter of fact I venture to say I would rather his company than most other people I've ever met.
In my limited experience based opinion....solid guy.
Please note that I have rubbed elbows with all walks of life from "rubbies" & murderers to elite & millionaires to clergy to pagan to senators & gang members to politicians and other pirates of all colours of human kind.

Criticize your brother only once you have walked in his shoes.

I have stated so many times and will continue doing such,"We hear only what we want and see only what we want." I like to believe that since I am conscious of that, I reserve judgment or at the very least postpone it till I have a bit more experience.
ChuckCubbison Posted - 11/18/2016 : 7:42:40 PM
Thank you, midnightwind, for reminding us that there are two sides to the story, as is usually the case. It's difficult for most of us, even mushers, to put things that happen "up there" into proper context.
midnightwind Posted - 11/18/2016 : 5:58:14 PM
well let's tell the whole story:

In no way shape or form do I approve of feeding wildlife, I am against bird feeders never mind feeding polar bears, but this is not a new situation. Does any one have actual evidence that he is feeding bears 'for profit' or to protect his dogs? Sled dogs in small communities are staked out, without houses, outside of town, from the Beaufort Sea to Baffin Island. I don't know if alternatives exist in Churchill, never having been there, but Ian Stirling knows full well just how many communities stake out dogs this way. The entire community of Churchill has an incestuous problematic relationship with polar bears, usually for profit. There are dozens of pet dogs and cats, allowed loose unsupervised, as well as occasionally tethered sled dogs, killed by predators every year in the Yukon and across the north. How is this different? Not to mention hapless dogs and cats dumped outside of town by owners who no longer can be bothered to care for them. Where is all the outrage for those animals? This individual is pretty out there, has been for years, but I can't see him as evil incarnate outside of the entire northern context of animal care. What I do perceive, is people felling somehow conned by the first video, reacting without context to the news he lost a dog previously. Having the full story is good for sure, but I will continue to enjoy and marvel at the 'petting' video as a minor wonder of this world. But I suppose, that is just me.

SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page