SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Skijoring
 Skijoring - General
 Maximum Speed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dougskijors Posted - 01/05/2016 : 5:36:06 PM
Hi;
I am wondering if top notch skijoring human/dog teams are as fast as top notch skiers?

A few years ago the best skier in our local club pulled away from a single dog and I skijoring after about 2-3 km on a good trail. But I am not fast, and the dog was young.

Would an Olympic class skier win a skijoring race, without a dog?
cheers from a fresh & powdery New Brunswick!
Doug
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CrazyDaisy Posted - 01/27/2016 : 10:14:48 AM
I think the condition and hilliness of the trail would matter a lot. On steep uphills the world class skier could probably still receive some help if they had a good dog, but on the downhills they might have to slow down a bit so they don't overrun the dog.

RSmith Posted - 01/12/2016 : 06:54:36 AM

quote. Unless they were racing side-by-side, you really can't compare times from a world cup ski race to any given skijor race. So much depends on the course and conditions when it comes to skiing. "

This probably is the best answer. lol
MD Posted - 01/11/2016 : 8:07:38 PM
Last year, the Noque skijor race was a 14k and a completely different course than the 12k ski race. If I'm remembering correctly, in 2014 we did the same course as the ski race, but they were on different days and the conditions were different (the ski race on Saturday was brutal). Also, this is a citizen race, so not a comparison to what elite skiers are capable of.

Unless they were racing side-by-side, you really can't compare times from a world cup ski race to any given skijor race. So much depends on the course and conditions when it comes to skiing. I think in a lot of cases, a world cup skier would beat a skijor team. They are really amazing athletes. But that's what is so great about skijoring! You get to ski at almost world cup speeds without being a world cup skier!

I should say I'm comparing one dog skijor teams to world cup skiers. Two dog skijoring is a different thing altogether.
balzakjeff Posted - 01/06/2016 : 11:47:53 AM
I've never been on the race track, so I don't know how the two compare, but I took a quick look at the "local" Noquemonon race from 2015 and as a single data point:

12K freestyle ski, the fastest time was 29.07.1
14K single dog, the fastest time was 32.47.8
14K two dog, the fastest time was 28.50.6

In 2014:

The fastest 12K ski was 43.06.5
The fastest 12K (different length than 2015) was 26.08.9

I _think_ the ski and dog races are on different days.

Jeff

RSmith Posted - 01/06/2016 : 07:45:30 AM
I don't necessarily agree. Hilary's key word being MOST.

A very top notch sled dog with a top skier could easily beat even the best WC or tour skier. No doubt. However that difference may be slightly less than one may think.

Also take into consideration the distances for comparing. The dogs would need to be different types totally.

gonetodogs Posted - 01/05/2016 : 8:39:42 PM
I agree with smushy... Most (North American) skijor teams will be beaten by a World Cup level skier. However, the question piqued my curiosity, and I am sure I did the math and research eons ago, but have since forgotten! A world-class skijor team (ie like Ynge Hoel of Norway) WILL beat the average FIS world cup nordic (free) skier, all things being equal (snow temperature, weather etc etc.).

The winning speeds at the last IFSS in Germany for a one-dog skijor were (men's 15km): 29.9 kph, and women's (10km) : 31.5 kph. The top World Cup skier (Martin Sundby - and he is a SUPERSTAR) at his last 10km pursuit freestyle race traveled at speeds around 28 kph, with the rest of the field mostly hovering around 26 kph. The women, granted, doing only 5 km, were doing around 23 kph. Spanish elite junior male racers averaged, at the top end, around 24 kph. I suspect too, that as the distances increase, the dog's endurance should be an advantage to the skijor team.

I guess I should add the caveat that I am speaking 'in general'. I'm not sure that a World Class skijor team could beat any of the past FIS World Cup superstars like Bjorn Daehlie, Vladimir Smirnov, or more recently, Martin Sundby.

Wouldn't that be a great race to see; a match race between the IFSS top skijor teams and the top FIS free technique racers!

smushybanana Posted - 01/05/2016 : 6:12:31 PM
IMHO, yes, a world-class skier could beat most skijoring teams, at least in North America. If you took a world-class skier and gave them a (good) dog they could probably beat the skier without a dog.

There are skijorers I've raced with in AK who I know for a fact would still beat me without a dog. I'm a fair skier but not competitive at the world level. Competitive skijorers in North America are often mushers who took up skiing...in Europe skijorers are skiers who got a dog.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page