SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Books & Videos
 How to build a Dog Sled??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
k_21_au Posted - 05/13/2011 : 12:42:54 AM
Hi all,

Anyone know of any book titles on how to build dog sleds?

Please point me on the right direction if you can.

Maybe Hans Gatt can put up his blueprints??

Thanks
Devante.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jane F Posted - 05/23/2011 : 2:11:06 PM
"Alaskan's How to Handbook" by Joe Dart, published by the Interior Alaska Trapper's Association, 1981.

There are chapters in this book on Building a George Attla Sled, and building a trapper's sled. I think it is really good info. I like the fact that it starts you from where you select and cut down the tree, to how to make the tools and forms, and ends with how to properly handle a sled on turns.
Susie Rogan Posted - 05/14/2011 : 12:48:39 PM
Hans's 'Blue Prints' are in an artist's pad book, hand drawn to scale in pencil. It is neat to look through every design and the changes and evolutions.

Professional sled builders have jigs (is that the word? like, templates) that take more time to build than a sled does. For a one off, Mushing Magazine has a regular column on dog sled building. Check out their website.
Razor Posted - 05/13/2011 : 05:57:16 AM
If you google your topic, you will get some info on it, but they are very basic design's. I built my first one from buying one 20 years ago, cut off all the ties to see how it was made and reassembled it. I have probably built 200 since than, different designs and types of materials, from racing sprint sleds to heavy duty freighter's. It's a learning experience and alot of pre-thought of what will work and what wont. You don't want to cut up too much carbon fibre shafts or aluminum and then throw it out if you were wrong. Take your time, think about what you want and need, measure and re-measure, accurately, dry fit your main pieces before tying or bolting to make sure all pieces and cuts are the same. Good luck! It's a great sence of accomplishment when you finish your own sled, and it actually works.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page