Duluth DOG Trail update

Printed from: SDC Talk!
Topic URL: https://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7245
Printed on: 11/19/2017

Topic:

Topic author: Blake C
Subject: Duluth DOG Trail update
Posted on: 10/21/2006 12:23:14 AM
hello, the trail north of Duluth in Normana Township that Northstar Club folks call NanaBush is now a main loop with small loop at end of Reservoir Road. I was out there this week with machine laying culvert and flattening the section Al Stead and others brushed last. There is still a bit of chopping of stickers i missed and more rock to throw etc. Go atv, walk, or bike the loops and check it out. Maybe Run it without dogs first time... I'll atv run my team next week after another walk around to chop roots/stickers.

Access is off Pequayam lake Rd - Go east on Reservoir forest mgt road until you see dozed spot on left by first grey fence gate- run thru vertical truck barrier logs, travel north to big gravel pit, follow two track/road/trail to east all the way to log landing and head back a bit southeast on freshly but lightly dozed route that takes you to old NorthShore/Beargrease Trail corridor, then cross swampy tall grass corridor trail and follow the esker swath/trail(that another dozer operator went wild on...) back to reservoir rd - go right back to pequayam lake rd or left to loop at end of reservoir rd and back again... watch for hunters, loggers?(maybe later this winter), and people driving the Reservoir rd. More to come - map on kiosk at Reservoir trail head, trail signs, press release, branches cut along trail, rocks/roots cut, seeding next spring, fun runs etc.

By the way- if anyone would like to do a longer run this winter or after swamps freeze - I can leave our yard, cross hwy 4 and take snowmo trail to northshore trail then cross the french river headwaters swamp to a trail leading to this loop. it will be a great midweek morning or 4-8am weekend kind of 30-40 mile run... email me and you'll be welcome to run from our house(not advertising a fee sort of thing here - just a free offer...) we were looking at possibility of buying a dog friendly 100 acre pc that is over by the Nanabush trail loop and thought a few cabins and musher oriented features might work... then I stopped day dreaming...

Replies:

Reply author: chel ethun
Replied on: 10/23/2006 08:45:31 AM
Thanks for the update Blake. I promised to help with brushing and have not done my part. I'll get on the trail this weekend and help out.
How long is the current loop?

Reply author: Blake C
Replied on: 11/04/2006 11:35:50 PM
First day of deer season and we were out on the new trail installing 3 culverts, creating water bars, cutting stubs, and digging/dealing with stumps[one weighed way more than 2000lbs) no conflicts with hunters, a nice day and a straighter, smoother, and drier year round trail is shaping up. The county forester has been very clear with us and we need to do lots more slash cutting and dispersal.
Anyone in Duluth, twinports area out there that would like to run a 6 or 12 mile loop... You folks that run northshore trail - here is a safer extension and it is a legal atv run!!! Loads of work to do... call me - we'll be out sunday afternoon and again next week... 218-428-5990

Replied on: 11/16/2006 11:49:33 PM
Anyone know of any mid/distance, sprint racers, or skijorers looking for a new trail to run once in awhile? This new trail north of Duluth will have signage soon, is legal to run with atv, and is going to be a good trail with full county authorization if we can get some more folks out to help cut slash and toss. As I mentioned before, the county is watching our efforts closely and if this trail goes right we can hopefully look forward to more dog friendly trails funded by the county.... Your efforts will be valued and are needed. How about helping for a few hours? Steph and I will be out tomorrow with a team of horses hauling out logs and pulling small stumps. We will be out again sunday. Email or give us a call - thanks - 428-5990 or info@outdooredventures.org

Replied on: 11/19/2006 11:14:51 PM
Todays dog trail work went well - 6 local mushers were out cutting and tossing. Our two draft horses skidded blow down balsam and other whole trees out of the corridor. Please write in here, email, or call for this weeks plan. thanks - 428-5990 or info@outdooredventures.org

Reply author: chel ethun
Replied on: 11/20/2006 08:40:58 AM
Thanks again to Blake and Al Stead for all their hard work. I helped a bit with the trail this weekend. THERE IS STILL MUCH TO BE DONE. Anyone that can help would be great. Bring nippers and saws. It looks fantastic, however we need a bit of clean up, especially nippers.
The entry point is easily identified from the Resevior Road- just look for the double log posts.

Replied on: 12/09/2006 02:23:54 AM
latest update - trail needs more slash cut and tossed, a kiosk put up on posts I buried, some more signs posted, and then the county will hopefully authorize the trail for use... next spring we'll be looking for help with seeding, grading/hole filling, and more bank busting... Just in case anyone(mid-distance/distance racers?) has a few hours please give a call to lend a hand on this final push.... last sunday two of us worked 2 hours each and made a dent.
218-428-5990

Reply author: TCoughlin
Replied on: 12/27/2006 11:12:39 PM
Do you think this trail would be skijor/bikejor friendly in the summer or winter? I know it's pretty swampy up there in the summer.

Replied on: 12/28/2006 10:43:34 AM
Hi - the idea with the trail was to be available for all silent sports - with atv dog training ok. We have culvert in areas and the trail will be better biking once it rains and we do final grading/filling. Bumpy new trail now but will improve. The Reservoir road is part of trail and eventually there will be other loops and you can ride the northshore trail from the res road. Skijor will be good this winter when we get snow... It is a year round trail with exception of spring thaw or high mud time until we get grass established. Did Chris Evavold advert the trail in Twin Ports Skijor news?

Reply author: TCoughlin
Replied on: 12/28/2006 11:38:34 AM
No, I don't know Chris but I have heard of him. I just found this site yesterday.

Reply author: endurancekennels
Replied on: 07/30/2012 12:46:13 PM
I would like to get some folks together for a weekend trail maintenance day. Sooner than later to cut down tall grass, trim back some bushes etc. I have a brush saw and chainsaw, 4 wheeler. Anyone have a trail mower?

There is only about 3 miles or so to cut/maintain. Also, getting new signage put up too would be great.

I ordered some SLOW/watch for dogs signs that will go on the Res. road outside of my driveway. We'll see how long those last when hunting season gets here....

I am also moving that big yellow gate in late fall at the entrance off of Pequaywan Lk. Rd. just past my driveway past the old parking area.

Replied on: 07/30/2012 9:34:08 PM
hi - what is the status of st. louis county requiring insurance on trail? when we were waiting on county to decide on our business use, we called an officer of Northstar and never heard back if they still have the trail listed as insured. We may be contacting land dept to inquire about leasing or purchase of land near you. Currently plan to meet with lake county on wed to look at options up north a bit farther in the snow belt.

We are super busy with our summer programming so no time to do trail work. we should talk sometime soon to explore dryland options.

Replied on: 07/31/2012 09:30:41 AM
Randy Roff asked me about the trail insurance and if you were going to renew it. I said I had no idea. Maybe you should call him.

Reply author: northome
Replied on: 08/07/2012 4:35:11 PM
Let me know the dates as I am happy to help. I ran a ton of miles on that trail last fall and talked with Randy R. several times. He wants the signage back up and I can take care of that. Hopefully the person who removed them will leave them alone this time. I'm free in October and plan to run up there again this year. I can do work while running a team. Did that last year!

Ann

Replied on: 08/08/2012 3:17:22 PM
I already took the initiative to put the signs back up. Both entries to the trail off of Res. road are covered now. We do need one on the NE corner though, I took that one off the ground and put them on the SE corner. Looks like one of the genius' cut off one of the posts with a chainsaw? Smart.

We could use more signs on the Res. road itself, I put up two close to my driveway but more would be good.

There is a lot of work in the SW corner, brush cut back, trees down, grass cut, etc. Same with the NE side before the gravel pit, lots of overgrowth. I would like to wait until prime grouse season, Oct. on the weekends to let hunters know we are out there on a designated trail.

I'll give you a call here once our big race is done, NSIM in mid Sept.

Replied on: 10/01/2012 10:32:02 AM
Carlson's is back there now logging. Trucks are running the Reservoir Rd. really fast from 5:45 AM - 6:00 PM during the week days. Use extreme caution if you are traveling the road.

They made a mess of the South East side of the trail, that will need much cleanup after they are done, it looks like a totally different landscape right now. Maybe I can convince them to run the dozer over it before they leave, we will see...

Reply author: northome
Replied on: 10/28/2012 8:38:33 PM
Tone, I ran the 1+ mile section - west side of our trail. There were trees down so I moved the big ones. Also the gravel pit is littered with shattered clay pigeons so watch it if you go through there. I did not get to the east side which looks rough and littered with forest by products from the logging. I will go through there on my ATV and not the dog team as Randy warned me that it is rough. I hope they stop logging soon then maybe we can get that trail back in shape. With the opener starting next weekend, I don't expect to get back there for a couple of weeks. The signs look great!

Replied on: 10/29/2012 1:33:46 PM
I'd like to put up some more signs on the North side if possible. Right now it's just hunter traffic and I assume there may be some snowmobile traffic come winter? I also have to put up a NO SHOOTING sign across my driveway it's within 500 ft of my property and it's extremely annoying when ppl shoot there. Randy had also mentioned they are going to eliminate that parking area at some time...

FYI - At the request of St. Louis Co. I'm installing a farm gate that will be closed during break up March-May on the Reservoir Rd. just east of my driveway.

I don't think I will use the dog trail until there is snow, it's too bumpy to travel faster than 12 mph. But I will go out there and do some cleanup work where needed especially on the east side.

Replied on: 11/29/2012 3:14:56 PM
The trail is in great shape right now, it's packed and groomed as well as the entire Reservoir road. I believe we received up to 7" of snow over the last week. If you are in the Duluth area stop by.

Anne has been running smaller teams on the sled and I am still on the wheeler pulling a drag to level the trails behind me.

SDC Talk! : https://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/

© Sled Dog Central

Close Window